Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Seedlings for Earth Day!



In honor of Earth Day today, I'm going to show you my little seedlings!!

I'm afraid only four varieties of the ten I planted have sprouted, but I think I found the culprit!

Here is how my seedies have been living:


As you can see...the seeds to the right of the red line just aren't getting much light! I only ever see my seeds in the morning and at night - so I was sure they would get enough light at sometime during the day - because the position of the sun would change...but I guess they didn't. The only seeds that have sprouted are the ones on the left side of the rack.


So - I moved the rack!


Happy seedlings all around! I'll keep you informed of their progress.

In the meantime, here are the sprouts that I woke up to this morning...



One little basil sprout (arrow added for emphasis):





One Parsley Sprout reaching for the sun...(there are more getting ready to shoot up though!)




Two Dill Sprouts (plus one unfolding in the center of the pot)




And loads of little sage seedlings!!!





And since we're on the subject of plants, I have to show you my little spider plant baby! I took him from a momma spider plant.

Here's an illustration of a Spider Plant (from Google.com):


As you can see...there's the parent spider plant in the pot. On the long offshoots are the offspring of the plant, which if you remove can then grow roots and become independent plants! Because of the way it reproduces, and it's ease of care, spider plants are super fun to give away.

So here's my spider plant:



Right now, he's in a little dish of water. He needs to grow some roots before I can plant him.

Soon, his roots should show up on this little nub:



I can't wait to plant him!

Also, here's Mr. Spider Plant's next door neighbor....


A real Shamrock! They open during the day, when the sun is out, and they close up at night.


When Chase and I worked at The Lost Savant, before it closed, we made friends with this awesome lady named Edna. She worked at the Fountain City Art and Crafts Center (next to Fountain City Park) and she made this plant holder herself! I think it's beautiful. When Chase and I moved into our first (and only) apartment, she showed up at the Savant with this little plant!

Unfortunately, it has "died" a total of two times - most recently, when we moved into our house. The leaves died and there was no hope. Or was there?

I watered it religiously and eventually, a little shamrock popped up out of the soil! It turns out that Shamrocks grow from a bulb. Lucky for me!

No comments: