Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Omnivore's Hundred from the "Very Good Taste" blog

I found this list via a blog I frequent: http://howtoeatacupcake.net/ (This wonderful blogger is also how I came to find out about the Daring Bakers!)


SHE found it on this blog - which I've never read before...but will probably start reading now that I know about it...
http://www.verygoodtaste.co.uk/ (the entry with the Omnivore's Hundred is here.)


so without further ado...



The Omnivore's Hundred


[(Quoted from "Very Good Taste" blog) "Below is a list of 100 things that I think every good omnivore should have tried at least once in their life. The list includes fine food, strange food, everyday food and even some pretty bad food - but a good omnivore should really try it all. Don’t worry if you haven’t, mind you; neither have I, though I’ll be sure to work on it. Don’t worry if you don’t recognise everything in the hundred, either; Wikipedia has the answers."]

My palette is more adventurous than it used to be...but it's still pretty "Americanized", unfortunately. At least this list will give me some things to work towards (or hide from!)


The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:

(Bolded Items are foods I've had, Underlined items are links to Wikipedia!)

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp
10. Baba ghanoush (My friend Crystal makes the BEST baba ghanoush.)
11. Calamari (My dad introduced me to Calamari when I was very small...)
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich (Of course!)
14. Aloo gobi (Indian food is my favorite!)
15. Hot dog from a street cart
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns (I had these while I was in Hong Kong - but I can't say I was very fond of them.)
20. Pistachio ice cream
22. Fresh wild berries
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
28. Oysters
29. Baklava (I made (and ate) my first baklava in 9th grade! What a task!)
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
39. Gumbo (Boy do I have a good gumbo recipe...if anyone wants it...just let me know!)
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects
43. Phaal
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu
48. Eel (Eel is verrrrry good)
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin
54. Paneer (oh. my. gosh. Paneer is my absolute favorite!!!!!!!)
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal (I just had my first Big Mac this year...guess I'm a little behind the times...)
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
60. Carob chips
63. Kaolin
65. Durian
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake!
68. Haggis
69. Fried plantain (I had awesome fried plantain at Taste of Havana...but I don't know if they're still around...)
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail
79. Lapsang souchong (Good gosh...this tea tastes exactly like a campfire - smoke and all...)
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.
86. Hare
89. Horse
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
100. Snake


wow - at only 29/100 (I think I counted right) - I've still got lots left to taste out there!

3 comments:

CHASE said...

Miss Emily! Food time!

Miss Emily D. said...

yay food!

Anonymous said...

ok, this blogging thing works best when you actually blog...where'd you go? I've read this entry 38 times now, I'm ready for a new one! =)